Thursday 17 July 2014

My NYSC experience....Stanley

I recently received this write up from an ex-corps member, who decided to share his experience via his one year mandatory NYSC program, do enjoy his story below...
Stanley with a BIG smile...
I am Eke Stanley Ikechukwu and I'm a graduate of  Biotechnology From the Federal University Of Technology Owerri in 2012. I served at Efon high school, Efon alaaye, Ekiti state,2013 Batch A.



NYSC Orientation Course is one of the life experiences every Nigerian Graduates must have. I have always felt the need to share my NYSC experience to interested readers especially prospective corpers. Initially, I made inquiry on the necessary materials I would probably need in the camp. I
bought white canvas, two Shorts, two white T-shirts, waist bag, bed sheet, etc. and got ready for the trip. I had read articles shared online by corpers, ex-corpers and from all accounts, camp is an unforgettable experience. Normally, service year should be the moment when, by common consent, corp members pause to become conscious of their national life and to rejoice in it, to recall what their country has done for them and think of what they can do for their country in return.


On the 2nd day of March, I collected my Call-up Letter and was very happy to be posted to Ekiti State. Some of my friends posted to Northern Nigeria were unhappy because of insecurity and violence there. I used my "Nokia Satellite Google Map" to locate Ise-emure in Ekiti state and roads leading to the place. NYSC camp opened on 5th of March, 2013.
 


Early in the morning of that day,I skipped breakfast and lunch that day, hoping to eat something along the way.I reached the camp at about 2:30 pm. At the gate, there were security men, searching a long queue of prospective corpers and I joined the queue. I wasn't  dispossessed of anything. After the searching, we got into the camp proper and joined another very long queue of prospective corpers going through the registration process. It became obvious to me that some people had been there since yesterday evening (4th March, a day before the opening of the camp).
 


It is normal to feel optimistically anxious that you will have fun in the camp, but most people get there on the first day only to experience some inconveniences. So, that was exactly what happened to me. The registrations for that day stopped late in the night, so I was fortunate enough to finish the registrations before 8pm. I ate dinner at about 8:15pm in "NYSC International Market-Miami Market". The best of all is that I was  able to get accommodation, meal ticket and NYSC kits that day, so I slept comfortably on my exclusive closet that night.I was so happy that I was going to experience what I had been hearing from other people. Some critics sometimes referred to orientation camp as “Sodom and Gomorrah” because of “many things” that happen there. Before I graduated, I used to hear that the last day at the orientation camp is not for saints; hence many believe that nobody passes through the four walls of a university as well as the NYSC camp and remains a virgin. There had been stories of pants, brassieres, diaphragms and condoms littering the orientation ground the morning the Ajuwayas were leaving.
 
Bye bye to NYSC


I was allocated to Room F and Platoon 2. Our swearing in ceremony was on 7th of March, 2013. We were all well- dressed (7/7) and that was when I started to value the khaki (uniform). Actually, I really cherished the respect given to the uniform. Many eminent personals came to welcome corpers, including Governor Fayemi of Ekiti State, though he was represented by some othey guy; the Chief Justice of the State showed up in person. Almost all the delegates were represented by another person. I did not go to camp with enough cash, but I managed the little I had prudently. I was frequent to Miami Market but I used my brain though. Miami market is another world on its own. In short, words cannot describe how costly things were there. In terms of feeding corpers in camp, it was nothing to write home about or boost of. Rice and chicken was my favourite but in general, the food was described by many as “Prison food”. I never knew any member who was an ex-convict or ex-prison innate. It was difficult to compare camp food with prison ration. I depended partially on "Miami Market". Everything in camp market was very expensive, even answering greetings.
 


Normally, life in camp is regimented. There is time for everything except on Sundays. The blowing of "beagle" signals the next activity in camp. We used to wake up every day around 4:30 am, moved down to parade ground and stood there till morning devotion is over. Thereafter, morning parade and jogging would follow. After morning parade, sanitation usually follows and then breakfast. From there to Lecture ground for lectures, and next would be lunch, nap and evening parade would follow. The last activities were dinner and evening shows. Movement was strictly restricted from 11:00 pm unless an evening show extended beyond that. All these I experienced everyday till the end of the three weeks in camp. I really enjoyed "Man O' War" activities. The most important activity in camp was to put down your name in the "Book of Life," which I did. Although, Orientation Course lasted for three weeks, I made many friends and I participated in many activities like match past,football, kitchen competition, sanitation, etc.

Better groove for the water fall

 Also, I enjoyed "Beagle" at 6:00am and 6:00pm indicating that Nigeria has wakened and slept respectively. We were paid transport "allowee" (#1,500) when we have spent a week in camp. Later, bicycle allowance and March allowance. Most of corper finished theirs in Miami market. Life in camp was all about getting to know people. Many found their lovers (especially when we received allowee). At NYSC camp, romance was the last thing on my cards. So, some lucky ladies got marriage proposals (to guys they may never see again in life) but for me, I made many female friends as well. I also enjoyed the Para military training and their slogan like "You are a bloody civilian" "Otondo," "If you are still in your hostel or sleeping, you are wrong" used to address some corpers. The camp radio station- Orientation Broadcasting Service (OBS) was also another source of fun in camp. Three days to the end of the Orientation Course, was our fire-night, alas, we had more fun than ever. Even though, my Platoon did not do well in most activities. Sad to say,we were able to secure 'miss nysc' position, stealing was very rampant in hostels and other places, but it is a matter of being careful. That was why we used "mobile bag" (waist bag or porch). What I hated most in camp is waking up around 3:00 am and the most annoying part was the very poor toilet facilities in camp. I had to remember going to toilet in my prayers.
 


My last day in camp, was the worst moment ever. At about 1:30 am (26th of March, 2013), soldiers and Man O' Wars stormed all the hostels and we were asked to go down in other to submit our mattresses. That was my last longest queue I joined to submit my mattress. We did the final sanitation and dress in our khaki for the final ceremony. I have been praying for a better posting for my one year youth service. Corpers performed match past and other things. I collected my Posting Letter at about 1:50 pm. I was Excitedly and happily sad when I saw that I was posted to Efon alaaye, the good thing I heard about the place was its a small London while the bad part of it was that I wasn't posted to Ado Ekit the state capital. A bus from the area conveyed us from camp to Ekiti state Government college where other corpers waited on our arrival. The village was  well known and I didnt find it difficult to locate my place of primary assignment. We were 11 corpers posted to the school.
 
My NYSC family


2ND PHASE 
To summarize all, Efon was the best that happened to me, I met friends who were like siblings to me. I will never forget the life we lived together and shared. My special thanks goes to my Host Paul Odunze,and also to all batch C 2012 corps members who were nice to me in some ways. I wanna  also thank My close friends, Chidi, Peter, Iheanyi, Martin, Shina,Vincent, Smart,Bomo Major, Calista Njideka, Ella, Debby, Ifeoma ,Peter Paul, Clement, Blessing ,Joy egg roll, Prince Nwachukwu, Gloria, and others not mentioned. I want to wish u The Best In Life.
 


And finally,wana thank our Tatafo and blogger- Prince .Wish u the best.
 


Nah me dey yarn,
 


Stanley

No comments: